wtorek, 24 maja 2011

Reptiles - Green iguana


The Green Iguana or Common Iguana (Iguana iguana) is a large, arboreal herbivorous species of lizard of the genus Iguana native to Central and South America. The green iguana ranges over a large geographic area, from southern Brazil and Paraguay to as far north as Mexico and the Caribbean Islands; and in the United States as feral populations in South Florida (including the Florida Keys), Hawaii, and the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

A herbivore, it has adapted significantly with regard to locomotion and osmoregulation as a result of its diet. It grows to 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) in length from head to tail, although a few specimens have grown more than 2 metres (6.6 ft) with bodyweights upward of 20 pounds (9.1 kg).

Commonly found in captivity as a pet due to its calm disposition and bright colors, it can be demanding to care for properly. Space requirements and the need for special lighting and heat can prove challenging to an amateur hobbyist.

25 komentarzy:

  1. i have a green iguana. Its very cute :D

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. I was looking at iguanas the other day.. and I think I MIGHT get a house gecko, I had a gecko before.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. does it come with car insurance

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. Always loved any reptile, fascinating creatures

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  5. wow, very cute I want it ^^

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  6. My sister just got one of these! They are super cute.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  7. So cute when they're still, but so freaky when they're on the run.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  8. Such a nice shade of green there. I used to catch them all the time as a kid. Used to be a ton around my house.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  9. Very cute, but requires too much special care for me at the moment.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  10. Your camouflage wont help you on concrete, will it lizard?

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  11. Wooow I had an iguana a year ago, I loved it, thank you for sharing :') good memories ahaha

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  12. looks cute. I want such a thing. I had some smaller "raptiles" which were very funny because they climbed on me with their tiny fingers and bit my finger :-)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  13. woow, these can grow a bit large. They also must be of a higher maintenance than lets say a dog or a cat.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  14. Fraking things are everywhere when I go to Florida. And their tails fall off.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  15. Lovely. It's too bad that it's against the law to keep such animals as pets here.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  16. @Delirium Tiger
    No, that one can't. Tomorrow I'll post something about cameleon ;)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  17. A friend of mine have one, and it's huge xD

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  18. I have one, Ernest Rutherford I named it :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń